Report to: Director of Pharmacy
Date Posted: Feb, 24, 2022
340B Program Analyst
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
The 340B program analyst is an experienced personnel who possesses advanced financial knowledge and analytical skills in an area(s) of 340B program maintenance, compliance and cost control. Responsible for providing expertise in 340B account management. Supports the established philosophy and framework of Pharmacy and Financial Services. Demonstrates expertise in 340B program billing and reimbursement processes for cost-effective pharmacy practice. Participates in pharmacy projects and initiative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Pharmacy Finance Duties
- Report to the Pharmacy Supervisor and Director and Supervising pharmacist.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the Pharmacy Department capital and operating budgets.
- Reconcile third party payments and facilitate periodic third party payer audits
- Prepare monthly retail finance reports for Finance department to review
- Promote and maintain a safe working environment, and ensure safe conduct in all aspects of job performance.
- Perform cost analysis of the retail pharmacy and address any reimbursement issues.
- Comply with the Chinese Hospital Association Compliance Handbook including the Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, and guidelines applicable to federal, state, and local programs. Responsibilities include reporting of suspected violations.
- Attend hospital meetings as directed.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication ¬– Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
340B Program Operation Duties
- Accountable agent for 340B compliance
- Responsible for maintenance and testing of tracking software
- Responsible for documentation of policies and procedures
- Maintains system databases to reflect changes in the drug formulary or product specifications
- Manages purchasing, receiving, and inventory control processes
- Continuously monitors product minimum/maximum levels to effectively balance product availability and cost-efficient inventory control
- Ensures appropriate safeguards and system integrity
- Performs annual inventory and quarterly cycle counts
- Ensures compliance with 340B Program requirements for qualified patients, drugs, providers, vendors, payers, and location
- Reviews and refines 340B cost savings report, detailing purchasing, and replacement practices as well as dispensing patterns
- Monitors ordering processes, integrating most current pricing from wholesaler, and analyzes invoices, shipping, and inventory processes
- Aware of products covered by 340B and Prime Vendor Program pricing
- Works with the medical staff to use effective therapeutic classes that optimize savings with good clinical outcomes
- Responsible for maintaining three distribution accounts and maintaining those accounts for all Chinese Hospital pharmacy locations: non-GPO WAC account, 340B account, and GPO account
- Responsible for ordering all drugs from the specific accounts as specified by the process employed
- Responsible for segregation, removal, and/or return of 340B drugs, including reverse distributor transactions
Responsible for reconciliation of lend and borrow transactions
Pharmacy Operations Duties
- Perform routine retail price updates on the designated pharmacy retail software
- Assist with the retail pharmacy daily operations when needed.
- Maintain the 340B program and ensure compliance with all federal regulations. Maintain appropriate documentation.
- Review claims in the hospital and claim system with 340B drugs.
- Assist Patient Accounting with pre-bill editing and billing of 340B claims.
- Pre-bill editing includes: charge review and charge corrections of 340B drugs.
- Resolve billing edits in claim system following internal and government billing guidelines.
- Submit 340B claims electronically for reimbursement.
- Attend 340B University or view the 340B University OnDemand modules on the Apexus website
A) Required Qualifications
- Education: A High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: Working knowledge of basic Microsoft applications including Excel
B) Preferred Qualifications
- Active California Pharmacy Technician License is preferred
- Working knowledge of retail third party pharmacy billing is preferred
C) Knowledge and Skills
i. Thorough knowledge of:
- Pharmacy, drug, narcotic and related laws of the state.
- Stock control and record keeping.
- Computer systems and applications.
ii. Working knowledge of:
- Budget development and administration, including cost analysis.
- Negotiation techniques.
- Cost control.
- Outpatient pharmacy regulations and documentation for 340B pharmaceutical program.
- Group and interpersonal dynamics.
Skill and Ability to:
- Develop and recommend alternative solutions.
- Present ideas persuasively in both oral and written formats.
- Identify and analyze complex technical, operational, and administrative problems. Evaluate
alternative solutions, and recommend or adopt effective changes.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and with groups.
- Conduct cost analyses.
- Communicate effectively with individuals from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Effectively use computer systems and applications.
- Maintain a valid California Driver’s license.
- Work holidays and weekends as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.