Department: Fund Development
Report to: Chief Executive Officer
Chief Development Officer
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Fund Development
The Chief Fund Development Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and maintain responsibility for all fundraising activities for Chinese Hospital. Current activities include developing a long-term Fund Development Department plan focused on securing major gifts, annual giving, special fundraising events, and campaign planning. The Chief Fund Development Officer will oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all donors, and guide and support internal leadership and campaign volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of donors capable of making six- and seven-figure gifts and more.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive development plan for the organization, including plans for annual giving, association involvement, foundation and corporate support, and individual major gifts.
- Establish and drive performance metrics.
- Oversee the comprehensive calendar donor and special events activities in support of development.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer, staff, board, volunteers, and others within the organization to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects.
- Support senior leadership, the Board, other staff, and key volunteers in their fundraising work.
- Provide guidance and direction to board and volunteer fundraising committees.
- Create appropriate recognition for donors of all sizes.
- Ensure proper stewardship practices for the timely and accurate recording and acknowledgement of all gifts
- Maintain ongoing and active networking with internal and external constituencies.
- Represent the organization in the community as appropriate.
- Oversee the Fund Development Manager and Development Coordinators.
- Collaborate with the Finance Department to ensure appropriate gift processing procedures are implemented.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Department to produce reports, brochures, newsletters and other outreach materials, including social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, or related field, required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Further certification may be required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising and/or donor service, including major gifts, OR extraordinary professional leadership experience in a comparable field
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience leading/managing high-performing teams
- Strong interpersonal, decision-making, and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Analytical thinking and ability to analyze data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Occasional travel may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.