Department: Chinese Hospital Clinics
Report to: Clinic Manager
Registered Nurse - ICU
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Chinese Hospital Clinics
This position carries out the day-to-day functions of patient navigation and communication. Care Coordinator manage and facilitate patients’ care and treatment plan through liaising among different ladders of health professionals and system, including but not limited to primary care, specialists, hospitalist, radiology, laboratory, infusion unit, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the direct liaison between patients and the services they receive at primary care clinics and/or specialty care
- Respond to incoming telephone calls and emails from patients and private practices seeking care or coordinating care at Chinese Hospital Clinics
- Collect and verify insurance eligibilities; complete referral and/or authorization information for patients when appropriate
- Conduct intake assessment and navigate necessary services in designed treatment plans
- Consult and collaborate with health care providers and specialist to set up patient appointments appropriately according to scheduling and payer protocols
- Educate patients about their conditions, medications, and provide specific instructions to their treatment plans
- Maintain documentation of patient encounters and communications agreed with organization requirements
- Performs insurance verification and eligibility checks
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Assist front desk operation as necessary
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of insurance guidelines including HMO, PPO, Medicare, Medicaid, and other insurance payer systems
- Commitment to the mission of care coordination
- Proficiency in use of computer systems and software
- Strong communication skills to interact with patients regarding medical claims and payments
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- One to three years of experience in medical office setting.
- BA/BS degree strongly preferred
- One to three years of case management experience
- Knowledge of community resources and cultural needs.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.