Department: Clinical Laboratory
Report to: Laboratory Manager
Date Posted: Oct 7, 2021
Clinical Lab Scientist (Night Shift)
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Clinical Laboratory
Performs a variety of Laboratory tests as described in CLIA’88 (HFCA, Federal Register 42 CFR Part 493) including moderate and high complexity testing. Professional application of the principles, theories, and techniques of medical technology are used to produce consistently reliable test results, which aid the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of patients
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs routine, special, and automated testing in Hematology, Serology, Immunology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, Microbiology, and Chemistry (depending on the shift and/or rotation schedule.
- Produces and reports accurate results in all areas for which employee is licensed.
- Notifies patient care unit or physician of critical test results immediately.
- Records and analyzes quality control data for trends and abnormalities; does not report results unless quality control data are all within accepted parameters. Records any corrective actions taken.
- Performs preventive maintenance as scheduled on laboratory instrumentation and assures proper operation of instrumentation before and during testing.
- Check and replace controls and reagents as necessary.
- Records preventive maintenance documentation, and all other indicators (temperatures, timers, tachometer readings, pipet calibrations, etc.) as required by section’s procedure manual.
- Reports and immediately corrects all inaccurately reported data.
- Assists in daily inventory of section reagents and general supplies; records need for supplies in log provided in main lab; reports need for emergency supplies immediately to supervisor.
- Maintains general housekeeping of assigned section and general laboratory.
- Understand and abide by all hospital and department safety procedures and infection control guidelines; knows location and use of MSDS material, and location and use of, emergency equipment.
- Demonstrates professional and independent judgement in daily work assignments.
- Works overtime and other shifts as required by scheduling or staffing problems.
- Participates in the on-call rotation program.
- Special assignments may include training new employees, diagnostics and/or equipment evaluation, acting as supervisor.
- Perform proficiency tests.
- Perform competency assessments
- Attends laboratory meetings.
- Perform miscellaneous clerical duties
- Sendout STAT tests not performed at Chinese Hospital (See Collection Manual). • Process specimen and prepare routine tests for sendout.
- Hand-off communication with following shift.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- California State Licensure as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Medical Technologist) as a Generalist or as a Specialist in Chemistry, Hematology, Blood Bank, and Microbiology.
- At least one year experience in the licensed specialties
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Computer proficiency
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology including medications
- Knowledge of community resources and cultural needs, preferred.
- May be regularly expose to biohazardous specimens, hazardous chemicals, electro-mechanical hazards.
- May be in a highly stressful environment.
- May rotate shifts or be assigned to weekend duties (according to the departmental needs).
- Must have good mobility to move from different workbenches.
- May be required to move about equipment of not greater than 50 lbs.
- May be required to sit or stand for periods of at least 1 hour.
- Must be able to concentrate for long periods.
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen
He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.