Department: CLIA Laboratory
Report to: CLIA Laboratory Director
Date Posted: Feb 3, 2022
Clinical Lab Scientist
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: CLIA Laboratory
Performs full range of Clinical Laboratory tests available at Chinese Hospital and Clinic CLIA Laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs full range of Clinical Laboratory tests available at Chinese Hospital CLIA Laboratory, particularly in Hematology, Chemistry, Immunoserology, Blood Bank, Clinical Microscopy and Microbiology.
- Responsible for monitoring, recognizing and reporting quality control and indicator issues to Technical Operations Supervisor and/or Laboratory Manager, particularly in analytical phase of testing. Records any corrective actions as needed.
- Responsible for calibration and processing validation of instruments as assigned by the Technical Operations Supervisor and/or Laboratory Manager.
- Responsible for processing specimens. Effectively communicates specimen concerns to Non-Technical and Technical department, accordingly.
- Responsible in performing preventive maintenance, as needed. Coordinate maintenance with lab assistants and CLS’s. Ensures proper operation and maintenance of instrument prior to testing up to releasing of results.
- Responsible in reporting and releasing assay results, with accuracy and precision in a timely manner.
- Assist and update the Non-Technical Supervisor and/or Laboratory Manager, with any supplies needed in the lab, reagent inventory and equipment issues.
- Ability to maintain clean bench area after testing as a courtesy for the next user, follow general housekeeping policies as assigned in general laboratory. Understand and abide hospital and department safety procedures and infection control guidelines.
- Perform proficiency testing and competency assessments. Maintain up to date training records by working closely with Technical Operations Supervisor.
- Ability to effectively communicate and endorse pending tests and issues between shifts.
- Ability to maintain required CEU’s and mandatory training classes, meetings, and drills.
- Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers.
- Ability to work with LIS, escalate issues involving assay results and test reference or reportable range. Communicate any data interpretation needed.
- Ability to maintain patient, employee and company confidentiality. Inform the team about any necessary clinical lab new technology and test progress. Interacts positively with the management, co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned by Technical Operations Supervisor and/or Laboratory Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology, preferred
- Possess a current California Clinical Laboratory Science license, required
- Hospital lab experience preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.