Department: Clinical Laboratory
Report to: Clinical Lab Supervisor
Type: Per Diem
Clinical Lab Technician
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Clinical Laboratory
The Clinical Laboratory Technician (Non-Testing Personnel) essential healthcare worker, under the direction of CUA L ab leadership as described in California Business and Professions Code – BPC § 1269.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Displays courteous, professional manner towards patients, co-workers, and hospital staff. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Adhere to quality, safety, environmental, and infection control methods. Follows Standard/Universal Precautions at all times.
- Maintain and decontaminate workstations before and after start of shift.
- Responsible for equipment daily, weekly and monthly maintenance. CLT will coordinate to CLS’s any equipment issues, with signed off training records.
- Responsible for performing all routine stains on submitted specimens, including gram stains and Wright’s stains.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory.
- Maintain stock supplies. Reports supplies concern to the Lab Supervisor.
- Remove and discard specimens considering sample stability.
- Interacts with other Clinical Laboratory staff in a professional manner.
- Submits suggestions to improve the Clinical Laboratory’s efficiency.
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Assist in orientating new staff; provide all aspects of staff training including phlebotomy, specimen processing, pathology processing etc.
- Participate in performance improvement (Pl) projects
- Responsible for maintaining documentation of training to be filed in annual competency logbook.
- Process lab send outs and coordinate preliminary and final reports.
- Perform venipuncture for inpatient and outpatients.
- Accession specimens in EMR (Cerner Community Works)
- Identifies the patient in line with NPSG 01.01.01
- Labels and records all samples in the presence of the patient.
- Is knowledgeable about which color top tube to use and the volume of blood needed.
- Disposes all sharps in a rigid sharps disposal container.
- Never attempts to re-sheath needles.
- Cleans and restocks venipuncture trays/carts.
- Cleans work areas as required.
- Reorders supplies when needed.
- Completes duties in a time efficient manner; knows how to prioritize STAT, timed, routine and outpatient orders.
- Transports specimens to and from other units/depts. as required.
- California Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT 1 or CPT 2)
- Pursuant to Section 1269 of the Business and Professions Code, a laboratory Assistant I who is a high school graduate, or has equivalent education as determined by the department, is authorized to assist licensed personnel in a licensed clinical laboratory if he works under the direct and constant supervision of a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS).
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Understanding of standard blood drawing practices and procedures.
- 1-year experience as a phlebotomist or suitable training course.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication.
- Ability to work nights, evening hours, weekends, holidays, and extended shifts as required.
- Strict adherence to safety regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of aseptic and sterilization techniques.
- Fluent in English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin), preferred
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.