Diabetes is a disease where your blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels are too high. Insulin is a hormone that turns glucose from the foods you eat to energy. Diabetes is when your body doesn’t use insulin well or make enough. Diabetes can cause serious health problems. It can damage your eyes, kidneys, and nerves. It can also cause heart disease, stroke and even the need to remove a limb. Pregnant women can also get diabetes, called gestational diabetes.
There are three main types of diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes is where your body does not make insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes is the more common type where your body does not make or use insulin well.
- Prediabetes means that your blood sugar is higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes.
Our center’s bilingual (English-Chinese) medical team is made-up of endocrinologists, nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, and licensed psychological therapists who provide medical management, nutrition counseling, and psychosocial support to patients. Prevention and treatment will lower the risk of developing diabetes or complications. Our team of experienced medical professionals has developed nationally-recognized programs to help you manage your diabetes condition.
Programs we offer:
- Gellert Health Services (386 Gellert Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015)
- Sunset Health Services (1800 31st Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122)
- Excelsior Health Services (888 Paris St, #202, San Francisco, CA 94112)
We accept most insurance and have discounted self-pay options. To learn more or to make an appointment, please call 1-415-677-2370.