Department: Food and Nutrition
Reports to: Food and Nutrition Services Manager
Type: Part Time, 24hrs/week, AM shift
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Food and Nutrition
Visits or calls patients to obtain food preferences. Processes and updates all diet orders. Works on tray lines to assemble trays for patients per tray card information and diet orders. Prepares food and serves to patients, cafeteria and catering customers. Performs dish washing and cleaning duties. Provides support to fellow dietary team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs simple calculations, reads, writes and communicates in Chinese and English at or equivalent to high school graduation level.
- Demonstrates the ability to use all necessary food service equipment, including dish machine, food processor and coffee urn.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of food service sanitation. Uses acceptable techniques in handling and serving foods. Cleans the can opener after each use.
- Observes all safety policies and procedures. Reports malfunctioning equipment promptly.
- Practices safe and injury-free work habit, including proper back-safety lifting procedure.
- Completes all daily assignments (including all regular and special daily cleaning assignments) or notify supervisor before going off duty.
- Performs all regular and special daily cleaning assignments, including all food production equipment, stove, oven, wok, hood and the chemical storage room. (Specific to Tray B position)
- Understands and observes Chinese Hospital’s operating policies and procedures.
- Understands and observes the dietary department’s policies and procedures and its PI program
- Visits new patients to obtain food preferences and special food requests within the limits of the prescribed diets.
- Communicates all pertinent issues to the appropriate person, i.e. Cook, Clinical RD (Registered Dietitian) or the dietary manager.
- Assists in food preparation for patient, cafeteria and catering, including making cold food items, nourishment, coffee and tea, washing produce and rice.
- Processes and updates patients’ diet orders according to the trayline report generated from the electronic health record (EHR) system. Maintain an up-to-date diet order rand.
- Transcripts patients’ diet orders and food preferences accurately onto individual patient’s tray card.
- Clarifies all “unclear” diet orders with Nursing. Communicates by phone if necessary.
- Answers the telephone and processes requests related to patient tray service and food preferences.
- Checks that every patient scheduled to receive a meal has been assigned an appropriate tray card and has the proper tray set-up.
- Tallies all trays onto the ‘Patient Tray Service Report” prior to each meal. Updates tallies as needed.
- Communicates all “last minute special food” requests to the Production Cook prior to each tray line service.
- Prepares for patient tray line service. Obtains the necessary food, supplies and serving utensils.
- Assembles patients’ trays according to information on each patient’s tray card.
- Checks all assembled trays for accuracy.
- Maintains trays in a tidy and orderly manner while loading them into tray delivery carts.
- Returns all unused food items to refrigerators or storage places. Covers, labels and dates all food items. Discards all expired foods.
- Clears and sanitizes tray-line area after each meal.
- Restocks all necessary tray-line supplies.
- Delivers trays (including early and late trays) to all patient and other areas. Picks up soiled carts and return them to the dishroom.
- Prepares and delivers special (10 AM, 2:30 PM and 8 PM) nourishment to identified patients.
- Delivers bulk floor nourishment to all patient areas.
- Performs dish washing and pot/pan washing duties.
- Returns all clean dishes and wares to holding areas.
- Maintains cleanliness in the dish room and pot/ pan washing areas.
- Serves and works as a cashier in the cafeteria. If assigned, restocks supplies and maintains overall cleanliness in the cafeteria.
- Prepares, delivers, and clears food and wares for catered functions.
- Put into storage newly delivered food and supplies, observes the “FIFO” practice. Maintains an orderly storeroom and walk-in refrigerator and freezer.
- Inventories and orders supplies as assigned
- Assists with daily cafeteria sale consolidation and deposit.
- Maintains and collects data for assigned dietary PI indicators, i.e. records food temperatures and patient tray delivery time.
- Checks printouts from the EHR on Saturday and Sunday for newly admitted patients with “High Nutritional Risk” and notifies the Clinical RD accordingly.
- Provides assistance to the dietary team
- Complies with CHA Compliance Handbook including the Code of Ethics and all status, regulations and guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any status, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Maintains appropriate interaction with patients and families while obtaining patients’ food preferences.
- Maintains appropriate relations with all hospital staff. Demonstrates good rapport and cooperation.
- Maintains good working relations with dietary personnel and manager. Recognizes as a cooperative team member.
- Sets a good role model for other dietary personnel.
- Assists to maintain an orderly and clean department including the kitchen, cafeteria, dish room, walk-in refrigerator, freezer and storage area.
- Demonstrates good judgment and cost-conscious attitude in daily operation, i.e. minimizing food and energy waste.
- Maintains personal hygiene for a well-groomed and professional image. Wears hair protection, clean shoes and uniform.
- Always consults supervisor promptly on unclear issues.
- Works to achieve the department and hospital goals.
- Assists in the cross training and orientation of the dietary personnel.
- Attends all in-service education sessions as scheduled.
- Attends selected seminars outside the hospital for professional development.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual- speaks Cantonese (or Toisan) and English, read and write Chinese and English
- High school graduation or equivalence.
- Food Handler Certificate (within 30 days of hiring)
- Previous food service and diet clerk experience preferred. Knowledge of (or ability to learn) the various therapeutic diets and meal patterns.
- Good telephone conversational communication skill.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment health screening requirement.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of efficiency and attention to detail
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, etc. He/she will be preparing and cooking food frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules/patient menus/instructions/order lists, write down food temperature/place food orders, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 20 pounds unassisted, or 30 pounds with assistance
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Mostly standing, walking and moving during shift
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.