Department: Clinical Laboratory
Report to: VP of Operations
Type: Full Time
Director of Laboratory Services
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Clinical Laboratory
Supervises and coordinates the activities of the laboratory staff. Directs the departmental activities, relative to the improvement of patient care, quality assurance and personnel performance. Maintains appropriate standards of quality; plans, directs and supervises all technical aspects of the department in regards to services, programs and the evaluation of the services. Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department and for waived testing performed in the hospital and the clinics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and directs the department’s administrative and financial functions.
- Ensures that testing systems developed and used for each of the tests provide quality laboratory services for all aspects of test performance, including pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic phases of testing.
- Evaluates staff in accordance with performance standards in chemistry, microbiology, hematology, serology, immunology and blood bank.
- Supports a culture of safety and quality.
- Maintains a safe environment in which employees are protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards.
- Responsible for the Clinical Laboratory enrollment in an approved proficiency-testing program for all tests performed. This includes:
- Proficiency testing samples are tested as required.
- The test results are returned within specific time limits that the proficiency-testing program dictates.
- Ensuring all Clinical Laboratory staff review the proficiency testing reports
- Responsible for identifying any problems that require corrective action.
- Responsible for implementing an approved corrective action plan when any proficiency testing result is found to be unacceptable.
- Designs lab requisitions and coordinates improvements in Clinical Laboratory reporting systems; serves as liaison with IT Department as it pertains to Clinical Laboratory.
- Prepares and is accountable for departmental operating budgets and the capital budget.
- Responsible for administrative direction: interviewing, hiring, orienting, in-services, performance evaluations and termination of employment.
- Resolves staff concerns at the departmental level, utilizing the grievance process as required.
- Ensures compliance with policies and procedures regarding department operations, fire safety, emergency management and infection prevention and control.
- Effectively and consistently communicates with staff and encourages interactive departmental meetings and discussions.
- Addresses complaints regarding Clinical Laboratory functions and works with supervisors to resolve the complaints.
- Attends and participates in administrative and other meetings, as appropriate and as required by senior management.
- Maintains established hospital and departmental policies, procedures and objectives; maintains the department’s continuous quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control and compliance with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Ensures each laboratory policy and procedure is reviewed, approved and documented biennially.
- Develops suitable inventory systems; oversees cost control measures for supplies, materiel, equipment and staff.
- Responsible for the preparation of reports, payroll records and other statistical data as required.
- Directs the department’s continuing education programs; directs the in-house meetings
- Establishes and monitors criteria for the immediate notification of the practitioner responsible for the patient, when critical limits of specified test results are exceeded; implements corrective actions as required.
- Maintains contact with physicians to solicit appropriate input; addresses problems in a timely manner.
- Maintains effective physician and interdepartmental communications.
- Employs a general supervisor to provide on-site supervision of high complexity tests in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Biology or Chemistry.
- Current CLS licensure in the State of California.
- Master’s degree in public health, hospital administration or business administration preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of laboratory training or experiences
- Three (3) years of managerial or progressively responsible supervisory experience in hospital laboratory services management with current working knowledge to meet the requirements for a highly complex laboratory. (Preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of relevant Federal, State and local laws; CLIA regulations and other regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of management of bio-hazardous and hazardous materials and appropriate waste storage
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology including medications
- Knowledge of community resources and cultural needs, preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.