Department: Patient Accounting and Patient Registration
Report to: CFO
Type: Full Time
Director of Patient Financial Services
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Patient Accounting and Patient Registration
The Director of Patient Financial Services will be responsible for overall performance of Chinese Hospital’s patient accounting and patient access functions. Core responsibilities will be to assist in overseeing onsite staff as it relates data capture, insurance authorizations, registration, scheduling and eligibility. Reviews, designs, and implements processes surrounding admissions, pricing, departmental charging, billing, CDM review and updates, third party payer relationships, compliance, reimbursement/collections and other financial analyses to ensure that clinical revenue cycle is effective and properly utilized. Directs and oversees the overall policies, objectives, and initiatives of an organization’s revenue cycle activities to optimize the patient financial interaction along the care continuum. The Director of Patient Financial Services help ensure the flow of patients is accurate, timely and meets the Hospital’s core mission. Directing the management of scheduling front office registration workflow. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional skills in motivation, training, leadership and problem solving who will support and provide guidance to both internal and external patient accounting staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand, and be able to explain to team members, process flow and reporting in Front End registration, edit resolution automation processes, eligibility verification and obtain necessary authorizations.
- Ensures staff verifies patient demographic and insurance information, and edits information as necessary.
- Monitor AR and billing activities to minimize the gap between discharge and billing (reducing DNFBs).
- Make sure denials are managed and appealed systematically.
- Ensure that AR balances are reflected in the appropriate financial class category. Health Plans/Financial Classes will be kept up to date.
- Ensure write-offs are managed and accounted for by appropriate approval process.
- Review and update Hospital’s charge master as needed, and comply with governmental regulations.
- Ensure that account follow-ups are done accordingly.
- Focus on the collection efforts to effectively reduce AR > 90 days.
- Assist Finance Department during Month-End Close on AR valuation and credit balance review.
- Helps manage completion of work assignments based on priority and due dates.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written skills and advanced knowledge of hospital systems as they relate to financial clearance and insurance verification.
- Possess strong analytic skills and be able to evaluate and analyze data-using it to drive process improvement and impact positive change and outcomes.
- Aid and encourage in the leadership skills and ability to provide education and support to staff.
- Possess strong analytic skills and be able to evaluate and analyze data.
- Helps orients, trains, evaluates, and monitors registration staff, using positive reinforcement and recognition.
- Ensures that staff members adhere to all established policies and procedures.
- Communicates any patient flow issues to appropriate managing staff.
- Support every effort to collect outstanding patient account balances, runs end of day reports, ensures accurate accounting of collected funds, and deposits funds.
- Report status of billing front end and billing data acquisition to management as requested.
- Maintain productivity and quality standards as set by management.
- Assist team members in achieving individual Key Performance Indicators and department goals.
- Identifies and recommends process changes that will improve overall performance and efficiency of the registration process.
- Help with all external correspondence from the data entry and edit teams, whether verbal or written, is clear, concise and professional.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Accepts and performs all essential job functions and other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline (e.g., Business, Finance, Accounting or Health Care Related Field)
- 3+ year of experience in hospital billing.
- 2+ years in patient admitting, registration, scheduling in an acute care setting.
- 2+ Cerner Community works or Millennium.
- 2 or more year of managerial experience.
- 2+ years in Microsoft Office experience specifically to include Excel.
- Previous experience working in a high-paced production environment.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts as needed.
- High content knowledge of medical terminology.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale: Starting at $111,000 – $167,000 per year
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.