Department: Food and Nutrition Services
Reports to: VP of Operations
Status: Full Time
Food and Nutrition Services Manager
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Food and Nutrition Services
Plans, directs and coordinates the clinical and administrative operation of the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Department. Provides dietetic services to patients, health care providers, hospital staff and guests. Establishes FNS policies and procedures, plans menus, and provides direction for food requisition, preparation and distribution. Develops budgetary and staffing plans. Establishes and maintains sanitation standards and safety practices in accordance to Title 22, the California Department of Public Health, and the Joint Commission guidelines. Maintains liaison with the Administration, Medical staff and all Department Managers. Develops and revises a Diet Manual to be approved by the Board of Trustees, the Medical Executive Committee and the Chief Executive Officer. Manages the FNS Department’s Performance Improvement Program. Attends Multidisciplinary Practice Team meetings. Provides dietary support to all hospital staff and departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops the FNS department’s operating policies and procedures.
- Observes the hospital’s operating policies and procedures.
- Directs and supervises dietetic services personnel in the preparation, and serving of food in accordance to the Hospital’s and the FNS department’s policies, and the regulations of Title 22, the Joint Commission, and the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Directs safety, sanitation and equipment preventive maintenance program to ensure a safe working environment.
- Develops patient, cafeteria catering menus and standardized recipes.
- Understands and observes “Local 250” labor union’s regulation.
- Develops staffing plan, writes weekly employee schedules and processes time cards.
- Responsible for all food and non-food purchases and storage.
- Responsible for the efficiency of all food services and catering functions.
- Responsible for the cafeteria operation and services.
- Responsible for the overall clinical dietetics operation. Supervises clinical RD in performing nutritional care services to all patients.
- Develops the diet manual to be approved by the Board of Trustees, the Medical Executive Committee, and the Chief Executive Officer.
- Manages the department’s Performance Improvement Program.
- Develops the annual FNS department’s operating and capital budgets.
- Participates in the monthly hospital’s General Management Team meeting.
- Coordinates with other departments on all dietary related programs. Maintains liaison with the Administration, Medical Staff and all departments.
- Develops and conducts employee performance evaluations.
- Complies with CHA Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statues, regulations and guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statue, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
- Maintains appropriate relations with patients, guest and hospital staff.
- Maintains a good working environment within the FNS Department.
- Makes sound judgment based on facts and careful consideration. Sets realistic and attainable goal.
- Makes fair and uniform decision in dealing with all dietetic services personnel
- Conducts regular department staff meetings. Regularly communicates with each employee and provides guidance as needed.
- Communicates and informs staff on departmental and hospital’s progress, directions, and goals.
- Possesses knowledge necessary for planning and implementing the overall nutritional care to patients as appropriate to their age, growth & development.
- Continuously strives for ideas to improve the operation of the department.
- Responses to changes with workload, available on call as needed. Is creative, flexible and adaptive in all situations.
- Maintains a positive, professional and well-groomed image.
- Sets a good role model, recognized as a qualified, competent and cooperative team leader.
- Responsible for the recruitment, orientation and training of new employees.
- Conducts continue education program (including re-training and cross training) for the dietetic services personnel and clinical dietitians.
- Maintains continuing education requirement of the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Maintains Food Safety Sanitation Certification.
- Represents the hospital in attending food and dietary related conference and workshops.
- Coordinates and integrates administrative and clinical dietetics to provide quality nutritional care.
- Plans, monitors and evaluates dietary program in accordance with the department’s short and long term goals.
- Develops and updates employee job descriptions, daily activity schedules and cleaning schedules.
- Monitors weekly personnel schedule for optimal labor utilization.
- Recommends new hire, termination and promotion of staff. Consults with Human Resource Director and senior manager as needed.
- Conducts performance evaluations and makes suggestions for improvement.
- Meets with employee and union representative on grievances and complains.
- Demonstrates a cost conscious attitude in the daily operation of the department i.e. minimizing food and labor waste.
- Monitors daily cafeteria sale accounting.
- Maintains and processes all monthly catering charges.
- Compiles patients, cafeteria and catering meal accounting to develop the monthly meal statistic report
- Manages and controls fiscal budget. Processes and approves all invoices, purchase orders and petty cash purchases.
- Prepares and monitors the FNS department’s annual operating budget.
- Prepares the FNS department’s annual capital budget and follows through with all approved purchases.
- Evaluates and recommends equipment service contracts.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics and registered as a Registered Dietitian as delineated by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
- ServSafe certified.
- Previous clinical experience in acute hospital required.
- Previous foodservice management experience required
- Complies with federal requirements set forth under the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Conditions of Participation (COP). Ensures state and local certifications for health, safety, and quality standards are met.
- Be able to achieve compliance with the Joint Commission, and other accrediting agency standards to continuously improve the safety and quality of care to the public and to the organization’s performance improvement.
- Supports and promotes the organization’s infection control, safety, risk management, and customer/guest relations programs.
- Maintains registered dietitian registration and continuing education requirements.
- Demonstrates accountability for proper use of patient’s protected health information imposed by regulatory requirements of the health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) of 1996.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office) (EMR knowledge a plus)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Bilingual in Cantonese and English; read and write Chinese and English.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.