Department: Health Information Management
Report to: HIM Manager
Health Information Management Technician
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Health Information Management
Health Information Management Technician is responsible for performing a variety of HIM/medical record functions in the department at Chinese Hospital such as record management, record retrieval, preparing paper record for scanning into the electronic health record system, quality check scanned document for accuracy, answer telephone and follow-up, respond to subpoena and release of information requests, pull paper records from outside storage for immediate patient care, studies and other requests, file records in the appropriate filing areas when needed, monitor the printer-copier-fax machine/que; generate needed/requested reports from the computer system; produce radiology/imaging film(s) onto a CD to comply with requests; monitor the CD burner and performs other duties as assigned by the manager when needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate/retrieve discharge registry computer printout. Check off on the discharge registry of the retrieved discharges. File the discharge registry computer printout in the binder.
- Pick up paper inpatient and observation discharges record from the nursing units and paper outpatient discharges record from infusion center, emergency room and/or same day surgery.
- Prepare the paper record for scanning into the electronic health record system. Scan each paper record into the proper document type, correct account number, correct admit and discharge date, correct patient name.
- Quality check scanned document in the electronic health record system for 100% accuracy.
- Process the operating room schedule to ensure that a History and Physical is completed by the primary care physician and/or surgeon prior to surgery or two days in advance. The history and physical also must be signed and dated by the physician.
- Process transcribed report. Ensure that each transcribed report is interfaced accurately into the electronic health record system. Correct transcribed report(s) with missing account number, medical record number, patient name, admission date, discharge date. Notify physician on report with missing information due poor audio issues.
- Distribute by mail or fax copy of transcribed report and any other reports to the physician on a daily and/or weekly basis.
- Reconcile the interfaced laboratory, radiology and transcribed report to ensure the integrity of the electronic health record system.
- Pick up the reports on the designated printer and fax to the PCP who opt out of auto-faxing and/or physicians not on the Chinese Hospital Medical Staff directory.
- Sort and file ancillary reports in the proper record, chart and date order in a timely manner when needed. Scan loose report into the electronic health record system. Maintain the integrity and neatness of the records.
- Records management and retrieval from outside storage. File records in the appropriate filing areas when needed. Maintain the integrity and neatness of the files.
- Pull records for studies and other requests in a timely manner from outside storage and/or electronic health record system.
- Maintain a numerical color-coded and alphabetical medical records system for record retrieval and storage.
- Assume custodial responsibility for medical records. Respond directly and appropriately to release of information requests from patients, physicians, hospitals, insurance companies, attorney, workmen compensation, subpoenas, copy services, billing department, outside health care providers, outside agencies, and etc. in a timely manner.
- Monitor the printer-copier-fax machine/que for incoming faxes/copies/printouts, process the incoming fax requests and/or distribute to the appropriate staff for follow-up.
- Monitor the HIM inbox emails and respond accordingly.
- Produce radiology/imaging film(s) onto a CD to comply with requests. Monitor the CD burner.
- Assist and follow-up with physicians and/or allied health care professional to ensure completion of medical records on timely basis.
- Answer, screen, follow-up and/or direct incoming telephone calls appropriately in a timely manner.
- Handle the receipt, sort and distribute mail, correspondence and other communications appropriately in a timely manner.
- Generate needed/requested reports/forms/labels from the computer systems in a timely manner.
- Meet quality and productivity standards.
- Provide back-up coverage for other staff on vacation when needed.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Associate Degree in health Information Technology is preferred but not required.
- Two plus years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified in a medical practice and/or acute care hospital.
- Computer proficiency (EMR knowledge a plus).
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology including medications.
- Basic knowledge of legal requirements concerning maintenance, security, destruction and release of medical records/information (HIPAA).
- Fluent in English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin).
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.