Department: Patient Accounting
Report to: Revenue Cycle Manager
Type: Full time, 40 hours/week, AM
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Patient Accounting
Responsible for Daily registration of patients and timely billing and collection of Accounts Receivable. Acts as a backup to cashier in the event of heavy patient traffic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for obtaining complete and accurate demographic and financial information from the patient, as well as, all required signatures on necessary forms.
- Responsible for input of information into various computer systems.
- Responsible to collect self-pay deposits, co-insurance and/or deductibles from the patient at the time of registration.
- Accountable for assuring all reimbursement requirements are met prior to completion of registration (Certifications, Authorizations, Eligibility, etc.).
- Responsible for receipting monies collected.
- Responsible for assembly and completion of the patient account.
- Responsible to answer all incoming phone inquiries.
B) Guest Relations
- Assists or directs patient to the correct source in order to address all questions and concerns in effort to serve the patient in the best way possible.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a professional, empathetic, and congenial demeanor toward the patient at all times in order to establish a consistent and good patient relation, as well as, a positive public relations image throughout the community.
- Responsible to meet assigned deadlines.
C) General Duties
- Responsible to communicate with management regarding problems and/or concerns.
- Responsible to participate in weekly team meetings and monthly scheduled department meetings, as well as, on-going training sessions as scheduled.
- Responsible to complete all duties as assigned by the manager or Director of
- Patient Financial Services.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care,
- Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
A) Required Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to make decisions coupled with good self-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Good collection skills
- Knowledge of collection law
- Extensive knowledge of third payer reimbursement requirements.
- Knowledge of Insurance Benefits
- Preferably two or more years of experience in customer service and/or guest relations.
- Preferably two or more years of Hospital Patient Accounting and Registration experience in an acute care facility.
- Computer proficiency (EMR knowledge a plus)
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Fluent in English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin).
B) Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of community resources and cultural needs.
- Two years of college
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale:
Starting at $23.80 – $35.67 per hour
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.