Department: Clinical Laboratory
Report to: CLIA Laboratory Director
CLIA Laboratory Supervisor (Technical)
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Clinical Laboratory
The CLIA Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for providing technical supervision for each of the specialties and subspecialties of service in the highly complex testing of the laboratory. The technical supervisor is not required to be onsite at all times; however, he or she must be available to the laboratory on an as needed basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be accessible to the laboratory to provide onsite, telephone, or electronic consultation.
- Responsible for the selection of the test methodology that is appropriate for the clinical use of the test results.
- Responsible for verification of the test procedures performed and establishment of the laboratory’s test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system.
- Responsible for enrollment and participation in a HHS approved proficiency testing program commensurate with the services offered.
- Responsible for establishing a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed and establishing the parameter for acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensuring that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process from the initial receipt of the specimen, through sample analysis and reporting of test results.
- Responsible for resolving technical problems and ensuring that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Responsible for ensuring those patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Responsible for identifying training needs and assuring that each individual performing tests receives regular in-service training and education appropriate for the complexity level of the laboratory.
- Responsible for evaluating the competency of all testing personnel and assuring that the staff maintain their competency to perform test procedures and report test results promptly, accurately, and proficiently.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned by Laboratory Director.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Bachelor Degree in Clinical Science
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the clinical lab field.
- Must possess a current Clinical Laboratory Scientist license issued by the State of California.
- Must be well verse with pre analytical and post analytical lab workflow.
- Must be able to work with CLS and CLA schedule in advance.
- Must be able to coordinate lab services, drawing stations and other operation concerns in real time to the Lab Manager.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of efficiency and attention to detail
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale: Starting at $118,000 – $177,000 per year
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.