Department: Hospital Clinics
Reports to: Clinic Supervisor
Type: Per Diem
Clinic Medical Assistant
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Hospital Clinics
Clinic Medical Assistant at the Chinese Hospital Clinic is responsible for assisting patients with their routine visits, follow up care and referral services. The medical assistant works collaboratively with their designated clinic provider to provide comprehensive, accessible, and quality care to patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and direct phone calls, schedule appointments, check-in patients, obtain necessary patient information to update patient records
- Prepare patients for examination, which includes but not limited to obtaining patients vitals, medication list, past medical, social, and family histories
- Record patient’s medical history and upload to EHR system
- Administers injections and medications, and perform routine specimen collection and tests
- Maintains immunization records on EHR and CAIRS
- Coordinates patient’s treatment plans, i.e. specialist’s referrals, prior authorizations, follow up appointments, etc
- Assist physicians with medical treatments, procedures, and exams
- Performs insurance verification and eligibility checks
- Facilitates full patient experience from check-in to check-out
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Medical Assisting Program is required
- A California Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA) is preferred
- High school diploma or GED
- Current certification in CPR / BLS
- Computer proficiency (EMR knowledge is a plus)
- Strong communication and customer services skills
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of medical terminologies
- Fluent in English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin)
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale: Starting at $24.76 – $37.11 per hour
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.