Report to: Charge Nurse / Shift Supervisor / Nurse Manager
Type: Full Time, 40hours/week
Licensed Vocational Nurse
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
The LVN will assist the RN in the nursing process and provide skilled, technical nursing care that is appropriate to patient’s age and developmental stage, according to a plan of care established by a RN. The LVN will demonstrate competency and commitment in achieving organizational and nursing department goals, as outlined in the LVN Behavior List.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Practices Chinese Hospital service philosophy standards in all aspects of job performance and promotes professional, positive, supportive work relationships with all members of the hospital work force.
- Demonstrates competency and professional responsibility in selected psychomotor skills (procedures) that is appropriate to patient’s age and developmental stage and allowed within the LVN scope of care.
- Implements plans of care appropriate to patient’s age and developmental stage as developed by RN.
- Demonstrates the personal responsibility to deliver high quality patient care, which are founded upon established nursing standards and practice, emphasizing education, practice skills and clinical competence.
- Maintains Chinese Hospital’s attendance and punctuality standards in a consistent and regular manner.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment and ensures safe conduct in all aspects of job performance.
- Performs physical assessment using limited equipment.
- Assists in the formulating of nursing care plan based on the assessment and information gathered from patient, family and other health team members. Reviews and revises discharge goals and care plans daily.
- Delivers care as outlined in plan of care in accordance to Policy and Procedures, Standards of Care and the LVN Practice Act, Blood borne Pathogens/Infusion Control Standard, and other professional standards.
- Accurately documents all nursing care delivered on the EMR.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance to approved LVN Practice Act standards and protocols.
- Collects data, follows the care plan, teaches and provides the patient/family the necessary knowledge and skills to better address their knowledge deficits.
- Involved in the PI activities on the nursing unit.
- Provide general nursing care, which address the personal, hygienic, comfort and safety needs of the patient.
- Takes vital signs and complete other assessments as needed.
- Serves/collects food trays and assist in the feeding of patients.
- Greets and direct all visitors. Answers calls light and telephone promptly and professionally.
- Assist in the preparation of the unit, room, bed for admissions and completes or reviews admission assessment.
- Assist in preparation for discharge and/or provide post-mortem care.
- Must be proficient in the operation of the following: computer keyboard, patient call system, telephone copier, fax machine and addressograph.
- Must be proficient in the operation of the following patient care equipment: stethoscope, B/P cuff and sphygmomanometer, thermometer, telemetry leads in specific patient care areas, hospital beds, gurneys, wheelchairs, walker, scales, commodes, IV poles and IV infusion pumps. Must be familiar with EKG tasks, traction, tubes, drains, collection devices, specialty beds, pulse oximetry, cardiac monitoring system and other unit specific equipment, as appropriate.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATION FOR SPECIALTY UNITS:
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certificate required for ICU, Emergency department, Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Same Day Surgery Unit (SDSU) and Endoscopy Suite (ENDO). CCRN recommended for ICU. Current Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) certification required for core Outpatient Medical Therapy Center (OMTC) staff.
- Must be able to assess and care for the special needs and behavior of specific age population:
- Medical/Surgical (M/S), Telemetry Units and ICU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- Surgical Suite/PACU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- SDSU/ENDO Suite/OMTC – 13 years to frail elderly
- Emergency Department – Birth to elderly
- Current LVN licensed in the State of California.
- BLS – Basic Life Support Certification – issued by AHA-American Heart Association.
- Previous experience in Medical-Surgical (M/S) and Medical-Telemetry (M/T) nursing preferred.
- Within three (3) months of employment, will become a member of SEIU union.
- Able to speak, write and understand English
- Bilingual Cantonese-speaking preferred
- Familiarity with computer keyboard.
- Familiarity with Electronic Medical Record (EMR)Charting
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office)
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of efficiency and attention to detail
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale: Starting at $43.42 – $53.59 per hour
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.