Report to: CFO
Materials Management Manager
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
Responsible for the purchasing of all goods and services for the institution organizational inventory (excluding pharmaceuticals) and the implementation of the purchasing goals; conducts purchasing needs analysis with the hospital management team; assists in the development of policies and procedures for the processing of purchase requisitions and makes formal recommendations on capital expenditure purchases; initiates and maintains outside vendor contacts to evaluate pricing terms, arrange quantity discounts, negotiate contracts, solicit bids, and maintain adherence to product quality standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, and directs the purchasing functions.
- Initiates purchase orders for requisitioned supplies by identifying potential cost- saving areas and soliciting bids accordingly.
- Reviews and selects incoming bids for the best price, availability of stock, length of price negotiation, vendor service, and reputation.
- Negotiates prime supplier contracts with major suppliers and distributors.
- Reviews and processes requisition for capital equipment expenditures.
- Initiates discussions with General Management Team members and outside vendors of choice to ensure that value, quantity, product specifications, and cost- containment goals of the hospital are met.
- Product reviews, pricing trends, contract terms, and competitiveness of solicited
- Works towards the education and counseling of hospital staff regarding purchasing practices, price trends, and hospital cost-containing goals.
- Maintains the proper and appropriate professional and ethical relationships with all vendor representatives; conducts business affairs according to the principles and guidelines of the prudent buyer philosophy.
- Maintains and updates reference catalogs; may initiate control records for assigned purchasing area; follows up on credit memos, unfilled or incomplete orders, and maintenance and service of hospital office machines and resolves problems with vendors.
- Assures accuracy of data and maintains operation of purchasing computer system.
- Remains current regarding significant developments concerning goods and services purchased; review advertising literature, trade journals, and other source of product and service information.
- Interviews, recommends, hires and fires, schedules, assigns work to, trains, and Evaluates subordinates; disciplines and recommends discharge of subordinates as necessary.
- Trains department staff in purchasing techniques and department policies and procedures.
- Assists in developing budgets for assigned areas of responsibility; responsible for administering area budgets.
- Recommends and implements changes or additions to area policies and Procedures in order to achieve goals, objectives, and efficient operations.
- Recommends and assists in the implementation of institutional inventory control strategies.
- Oversees the forms management program to ensure economical design and cost- efficient acquisition of institutional forms and to avoid duplication of forms between departments.
- Strives to develop and implement strategies to enhance distribution, minimize cost of supplies utilization, and reduce inventory investment while ensuring availability of quality supplies and equipment and avoidance of shortages.
- Performs other projects or duties as assigned.
- The candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree
- At least four years purchasing experience in a hospital environment.
- Have familiarity with the supply, process and distribution phase of purchasing in a hospital environment and central supply and processing.
- Able to demonstrate achievements such as reduction of inventory, implementation of distribution systems and centralization of purchasing function.
- Analytical abilities, logical thinking, excellent communication skills and effective negotiation skills
- Management principles of planning, organizing, directing, controlling and staffing
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.
Base Pay Scale: Starting at $109,000 – $163,000 per year
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. This pay scale is not a promise of a particular wage.