Department: Medical Staff Services
Report to: VP of Quality, Medical Staff and Compliance
Medical Staff Manager
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Medical Staff Services
The Medical Staff Services Manager will oversee, supervise, and direct the day to day operations of the medical staff credentialing and privileging. They will need to have a strong understanding of compliance with regulatory agencies such but not limited to, Title 22, CMS, and TJC requirements as it relates to medical staff affairs.
Onboarding physicians in a timely manner as well as providing clear effective communication with hospital administration and various hospital departments will be key to the success of the Medical Staff Manager. Having 3 or more years in leading hospital privileges along with a strong background in database management and a CPMSM or CPCS certification is highly desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for knowing Medical Staff Bylaws, and Rules/Regulations, and Hospital policies/procedures related to Medical Staff
- Responsible for the supervision of the administrative staff
- Coordinates/maintains Medical Staff bank accounts in regards to preparing and providing monthly/quarterly financial reports to the Medical Staff Secretary/Treasurer, issuing payment to medical staff vendors
- Accountable for the maintenance of files, minutes, reports, etc., relating to the activity of the Medical Staff
- Attends Medical Staff meetings to record and transcribe meeting minutes and follow up on issues, as assigned
- Responsible for the direction and coordination of all medical staff support services such as, but not limited to: credentialing/ privileging , and continuing medical education program
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum five years’ experience in Medical Staff
- Minimum five years’ managerial experience preferred
- Knowledgeable and experienced in Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations.
- Certified Professional Medical Services Management (CPMSM) required.
- Bachelor degree healthcare management or related healthcare field preferred.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office) (EMR knowledge a plus)
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of efficiency and attention to detail
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.