Department: Medical Surgical Unit
Report to: Director of Acute Care and Surgical Services
Type: Per Diem
Registered Nurse - Medical Surgical
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Medical Surgical Unit
The Clinical RN is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibilities and accounts for a group of patients for a designated time frame and provides therapeutic and safe care to patients using the nursing process of individualized patient/client assessment, outcomes identification planning, implementation/intervention, and evaluation. The RN is responsible and accountable for nursing care delivered to their assigned patients by LVNs, HAs, and others. Professional duties include patient teaching, staff development, delegation, supervision, coordination, and patient advocacy. The RN will demonstrate competency and commitment to achieving organizational and nursing department goals, as outlined in the RN Behavior List and Competency Checklist.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates positive behavior and the ability to perform an ongoing clinical assessment of the patient, establishes and implements a plan of care and evaluates the outcome of that care, utilizing the nursing practice process that is specific to the patient.
- Demonstrates the personal responsibility to deliver high-quality patient care, which is founded upon established nursing standards and practice, emphasizing education, practice skills, and clinical competence.
- Responsible for delegating the delivery of care to others as well as motivating staff to deliver and maintain care that best demonstrates the mission, vision, and values of Chinese Hospital through professional excellence with personal concern.
- Maintains Chinese Hospital’s attendance and punctuality standards in a consistent and regular manner.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment and ensures safe conduct in all aspects of job performance.
- Formulates a plan of care based on assessment and information obtained from the patient, family, and other health team members. Reviews and revises discharge goals and care plans daily.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Currently licensed in the State of California to practice as a Registered Nurse.
- Six (6) months of previous experience in Medical-Surgical (M/S) nursing is preferred.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certification
- Able to speak, write and understand English
- Bilingual Cantonese-speaking preferred
- Familiarity with computer keyboard.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certificate required for ICU, Emergency Department, Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Same Day Surgery Unit (SDSU), and Endoscopy Suite (ENDO). CCRN is recommended for ICU. Current Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) certification is required for core Outpatient Medical Therapy Center (OMTC) staff.
- Must be able to assess and care for the special needs and behavior of a specific age population:
- Medical/Surgical (M/S), Telemetry Units, and ICU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- Surgical Suite/PACU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- SDSU/ENDO Suite/OMTC – 13 years to frail elderly
- Emergency Department – Birth to elderly
Hospital Work Schedule
The work schedules of the Hospital use an 8/80 basis for computing overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and California Wage Order 5. Employees working in accordance with a 14 consecutive day work period in lieu of a workweek of seven consecutive days must be paid one and one-half times their regular rate of pay for hours worked in excess of eight in a workday and 80 in the 14-day period. Double time is required after 12 in a workday (Labor Code § 510).
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.