Department: Same Day Surgery
Report to: Director of Acute Care and Surgical Services
Type: Part Time, 24hrs/week
Registered Nurse - SDS
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Same Day Surgery
Coordinates operative nursing care for patients, participates in patient/family teaching and provides leadership by working cooperatively with other patient team personnel in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice in the SDS/GI setting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Quality of Work
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for personal conduct, strives for excellence in patient care.
- Implements nursing process to provide quality care based on assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation.
- Proper patient and family preoperative education.
- Identify patient properly and verify completeness of chart and procedure site.
- Plan, implement and evaluate patient care plan to meet the individualized needs of the patient.
- Always directs and assists in carrying-out safe aseptic techniques and procedures as outlined in the Same Day Surgery/ GI Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Performs nursing procedures based on unit standards of care and hospital policies and protocols (medications, IVs, treatments, etc.)
- Exhibit knowledge of current Same Day Surgery/ GI related issues.
Knowledge of Job
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient assessment;
- Pre-procedure checklist
- Pre-op Assessment
- Pain assessment
- Aldrete Score/Phase 2
- Post Procedure Management
- Pre-op Fasting
- Dysphagia Screen o Discharge Procedure
- Demonstrates through work performed knowledge of safety policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates through work performed, knowledge of Infection Control and Universal Precautions.
- Demonstrates a complete knowledge of the location, care and operation of all equipment.
- Updates documents and answers questions regarding the correct use of all forms, required in the daily operations of the unit.
- Provide assistance to Proceduralist, Surgeon and Anesthesiologist as necessary
- Demonstrates competence in opening sterile supplies and setting-up procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of principles of asepsis and application.
- Assists with the orientation of nursing personnel to the SDA Unit.
- Demonstrates an ability to perform all duties required of both a circulating and a scrub nurse in accordance with established procedures, as required:
- Identify needed supplies and equipment to prepare room for patient and procedure.
- Assess and meet the patient’s individual physical, safety and emotional needs.
- Assure completion of the patient’s chart.
- Accurately records, handles and labels specimens; demonstrates care of specimens, as required.
- Obtain and record medications used during procedure
Judgement and Decision Making
- Demonstrates an ability to independently solve problem in a creature manner.
- Intervenes appropriately in emergency situation.
- Prioritize patient needs effectively.
- Maintains the dignity and confidentiality of the patient.
- Evaluates patient response to nursing intervention and communicate responses through EMR documentation and report.
Relationship with Others
- Communicates and works effectively with
- Patient/family, Nursing colleagues and Multidisciplinary colleagues
- Promotes good public relations for the unit, nursing department and the Hospital.
Planning and Time Utilization
- Supervise and direct patient care and personnel in SDS.
- Demonstrates a well-organized approach to all activities.
- Returns promptly from errands, coffee breaks, and meals.
- Participate in evaluation of SDS procedures, supplies, and equipment required to provide patient care.
- Report any change in the patient’s condition.
- Recognizes/investigates problems and promptly seeks solution.
- Assist in developing, reviewing and revising all policies and procedures for the SDS Unit.
- Able to adapt to changes in the hospital unit processes and protocol.
- Inspects and ensures that all equipment for patient care is in proper working condition.
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and discusses personal goals for continued professional development with the unit coordinator.
- Seeks information for accurate completion of job duties and uses reference materials to ensure accuracy.
- Participates in the SDS Quality Improvement Program.
Attendance/Reliability and Other Behavioral Factors
- Accepts reassignment to other units if competent in that Unit.
- Verifies information for accuracy in the EMR, face sheets, ID band.
- Does not abuse or take advantage of sick time or personal days off.
- Provides proper notification for absence or tardiness.
- Willingness to participate in variable work hours as necessary.
- Reports off before leaving the unit.
- Observes the hospital dress code.
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication – Keeps Director and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Currently licensed in the State of California to practice as a Registered Nurse. One year previous experience in Operating Room preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others.
- Maintain current state licensure, keeps inform of current developments in nursing.
- Fluent in English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin).
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certificate required for ICU, Emergency Department, Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Same Day Surgery Unit (SDSU), and Endoscopy Suite (ENDO). CCRN is recommended for ICU. Current Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) certification is required for core Outpatient Medical Therapy Center (OMTC) staff.
- Must be able to assess and care for the special needs and behavior of a specific age population:
- Medical/Surgical (M/S), Telemetry Units, and ICU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- Surgical Suite/PACU – Adolescent to frail elderly
- SDSU/ENDO Suite/OMTC – 13 years to frail elderly
- Emergency Department – Birth to elderly
- Knowledge of community resources and cultural needs.
Hospital Work Schedule
The work schedules of the Hospital use an 8/80 basis for computing overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and California Wage Order 5. Employees working in accordance with a 14 consecutive day work period in lieu of a workweek of seven consecutive days must be paid one and one-half times their regular rate of pay for hours worked in excess of eight in a workday and 80 in the 14-day period. Double time is required after 12 in a workday (Labor Code § 510).
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.