Department: Social Services
Reports to: Social Services Manager
Type: Per Diem
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Social Services
The Social Worker is expected to perform duties in alignment with the mission and policies of the organization. Under the general supervision of the Manager of Social Service, the Social Worker provides crisis intervention, emotional support, resource information, discharge planning, and appropriate assistance to enable patients/ families to utilize medical care in order to achieve the optimal levels of health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies patients who are at risk for need of social service intervention
- Performs psychosocial assessments to determine social service and discharge planning needs
- Assists patients & families with care planning and develops attainable discharge plans
- Teams with other disciplines in assessing, planning and providing services for patients
- Maintains current knowledge of resources available within the community and provides information & refers patients to appropriate community resources. Is able to obtain other resources as needed.
- Provides consultation to physicians and hospital staff re: psychosocial issues and discharge problems
- Documents pertinent contacts regarding discharge plans in the Social Service/Discharge Planning notes of the patient’s medical record in a timely manner
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager of Social Services
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
- Communication ¬– Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
- Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in social work, sociology, psychology, counseling, or other behavioral science.
- A Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW) from an accredited school in social work is preferred
- Previous experience in a healthcare setting
- Fluent in English and Cantonese
- Knowledge of the community & community resources
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.