Department: Operating Room
Reports to: Director of Surgery
Type: Per Diem
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Department: Operating Room
The Surgical Technician, under the guidance of the registered nurse, is responsible for the care and safety of the patients who come under his or her care. Included within this assignment is the responsibility for ensuring communication between him- or herself, the charge nurse, the patient, other staff, physicians, and other hospital departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a member of the operating room team providing direct patient care during a variety of surgical procedures as scrub technician, assisting circulating nurse as
- Serves as a member of the operating room team in communication with team members to assess, anticipate needs for equipment, supplies and
- Participates in the maintenance, care and preparation for a variety of instruments, set systems and supplies for the Operating Room or ancillary departmental
- Participates in doing other duties although not directly
- Promptly reports any breaks in sterile technique to
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment and ensure safe conduct in all aspects of job performance.
- Demonstrates a well-organized approach to all
- Return promptly from errands and
- Provides a safe environment by maintaining own physical health and mental
- Utilizes measures to prevent infection, notifies Infection Control Nurse of any possible nosocomial infection or high-risk
- Completes yearly employee health evaluation on a prompt
- Attends required hospital safety
- Adheres to the dress
- Notifies unit coordinator of any possible safety
- Self-motivated in continually keeping current and knowledgeable about any/all instrumentation and equipment, etc., which is used on surgical
- Manages and operates equipment safely and
- Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics,
- Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned
- Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly.
- Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and
- Accepts and performs other duties as
- Graduate of an accredited School of Surgical
- Possess current ORT Certification
- Possess thorough knowledge of nursing
- Demonstrates ability to provide quality patient
- Communicates and works effectively with
- Holds a current CPR
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and/or listen. He/she uses his/her hands to do computer work, write reports, do equipment set-up/cleaning/storage, clerical support, etc. He/she will be using the phone frequently. Good vision is needed to be able to read schedules, enter accurate data, etc. He/she must have good general health and demonstrate emotional stability so as to carry out the above-enumerated duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Use proper body mechanics when handling equipment
- Standing, walking and moving 50% of the day
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.