Report to: Radiology Manager
Type: Per Diem
845 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94133
About this role
Ultra Sound Tech applicants must have extended experience or knowledge of exam operations. Experience and knowledge of regulatory requirements for safety and operations is required for this position. This candidate would be contributing to operations at Chinese Hospital, a small community hospital in Chinatown and in Daly City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to perform Routine Outpatient, Inpatient & Emergency Dept. ultrasound exams including at bedside, ER or OR.
- Must be able to perform ultrasound procedures in SDS and Surgery Departments as needed.
- Must be able to perform Ultrasound Interventional Procedures as needed, including biopsies and drainages.
- Must be able to cover Weekend Shifts including Dayshift, Nightshift or On-call Ultrasound Tech Duty as needed.
- Prepares patient for ultrasound procedures, transfers patient to table, positions patient and assists patient at end of procedures.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift at least 50 pounds.
- Demonstrates good problem solving skills.
- Plans and utilizes work time efficiently.
- Maintains stock supplies and performs general office duties.
- Prepares room, equipment, medicine and contrast materials as needed for patients.
- Cleans and disinfects ultrasound exam room and equipment.
- Observes patient and equipment during procedure and reports unusual occurrences and record patient’s condition.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with co-workers and physicians.
- Demonstrates good working relationships at all levels.
- Must be able to perform troubleshooting and QC on ultrasound equipment as needed, including placing service calls.
- Basic Computer Skills required.
- Work assignments may include Weekday & Weekend (AM) Dayshift, (PM) Nightshift or On Call Duty per hospital needs.
- Standby and On Call Duty might be required as part of the job duties for rotational basis.
- Other duties may be assigned.
1. Patient Care:
a. Responsible for providing patient care in accordance with the hospital mission, goals, rules and policy and procedures guidelines.
b. Responsible for adhering to the Service Excellence Standards.
c. Provide respectful, professional leadership qualities during all interactions with patients and employees of the organization.
d. Responsible for making sure all equipment necessary is on and operational prior to performing patient procedures.
e. Responsible for verifying the department is open and waiting area is open for patients.
f. Responsible for properly greeting patients, verify correct patient name, DOB, proper exam and diagnosis and verify doctors order prior to performing exams or procedures.
g. Provide answers or follow up for all patient concerns or questions they may have regarding exams or procedures.
h. Responsible for cleaning and stocking exam rooms after every exam.
i. Responsible for cleaning all equipment after every use (scanner, table, counters, operators console, workstations, injectors, wheelchairs, etc.).
j. Responsible for maintaining all necessary certifications (RDMS, CPR, etc.) required for position.
k. Responsible for maintaining at least 10 category A CE credits per year.
l. Providing help to all other areas of the department as needed.
m. Responsible for taking call and performing all Technologists duties of assigned position according to the needs of the department to provide coverage.
n. Responsible for proper patient transport, lifting and moving techniques.
o. Responsible for carrying pager or cell phone at all times during assigned shift and on-call shifts.
p. Standby and On Call Duty might be required as part of the job duties for rotational basis.
q. Support Radiologists as needed.
2. Patient Exam:
a. Verify and clarify all Physician orders prior to performing exam or procedure.
b. Responsible for knowing equipment, imaging/scanning techniques and parameters in accordance with Radiologist requests and recommendations.
c. Responsible for providing proper preps and protocols per exam to ensure the proper test for the proper diagnosis.
d. Responsible for familiarizing yourself with the diagnostic US protocols.
e. Responsible for maintaining competencies on all equipment necessary to perform job duties.
f. Responsible for adjusting schedules as needed to accommodate add-on, ER and STAT exams.
g. Recognize pertinent anatomy and pathology and adjust imaging parameters as needed to provide the Radiologist with the most complete exam possible to provide a diagnosis.
h. Verifying orders in inpatient, ICU and ER patient charts.
i. Responsible for charging and verifying all necessary charges associated with each exam and procedure.
j. Perform all post processing duties for all procedures.
k. Responsible for completing all paperwork necessary for each exam and procedure.
l. Assist Physicians with all invasive procedures including room and supply setup using sterile technique.
m. Responsible for proper documentation, identification and marking of all images.
3. Patient Results:
a. Responsible for maintaining accurate exam and procedure records.
b. Verify all exams performed and completed are moved to EXAM DONE status in RIS and all images being accessible on the PACs system.
c. Responsible for turning in completed exam and paperwork to Radiologists for dictation.
d. Responsible for communicating results of US exams to referring physicians as directed by Radiologists.
e. Responsible for all follow-up associated with STAT, call results and patients waiting for results.
f. Responsible for accurately transferring images, patient information and exam paperwork to the Nightshift Radiology teleradiology service for after hour’s cases.
g. Maintain exam work list on RIS system and check to ensure all completed exams are in EXAM DONE or EXAM COMPLETED status.
4. Department Duties:
a. Responsible for checking and re-ordering department supplies as needed.
b. Work assignments may include Weekday & Weekend (AM) Dayshift, (PM) Nightshift or On Call Duty per hospital needs.
c. Standby and On Call Duty might be required as part of the job duties for rotational basis.
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
• Follows Hospital and Department policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to: Administrative Manual, Environment of Care, Human Resources, Infection Control, Corporate Compliance, Code of Ethics, etc.
• Attend, actively participate and complete in-services, training classes, mandatory classes, seminars/workshops, staff meetings, exercises and drills; reads all department communication and assigned materials.
• Customer Service – Provides excellent customer service and shows compassion to all patients, visitors and co-workers. Seeks feedback to ensure all needs are met. Anticipates and recognizes the concerns of others, even if those concerns are not openly expressed.
• Communication – Keeps manager and team informed of progress, problems, development and plans. Gets along and interacts positively with co-workers and others.
• Accepts and performs other duties as assigned.
- ARDMS in Abdomen or OBGYN
- BLS – Basic Life Support Certification – issued by AHA-American Heart Association.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office) (EMR knowledge a plus)
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative, adapt to changing priorities, and work independently
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to multi-task with a high level of efficiency and attention to detail
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Complies with Chinese Hospital Compliance Handbook including Code of Ethics and all statutes, regulations, guidelines applicable to federal and state programs. Responsibilities include, following the guidelines and reporting suspected violations of any statute, regulations, agreements or guidelines applicable to all healthcare programs.